The Juniper Prize for Creative Nonfiction is awarded annually to one original manuscript. The University of Massachusetts Press publishes the winning manuscript and the author receives a $1,000 award upon publication.
Submissions will only be accepted each year between August 1 and September 30. The entry fee is $30. All manuscripts will be judged anonymously by a faculty-judge from the distinguished University of Massachusetts MFA program. The winners will be announced at the University of Massachusetts Press website in April, with publication slated for the following spring.
1. The competition is open to all writers in English, whether or not they are U.S. residents. However, current employees and students of the University of Massachusetts and previous Juniper Prize winners are not eligible.
2. While submissions might span memoir, essay, or biography, we seek fresh and innovative projects.
3. Selections of the work that have previously appeared in magazines are eligible, but should be so identified in the cover letter.
4. Self-published works are ineligible.
5. Manuscripts by more than one author are not eligible.
6. Translations are not eligible.
1. Manuscript files must be between 150 and 300 pages, double-spaced in 12-point standard font with pages numbered consecutively. Acceptable file types are doc, docx, and pdf.
2. Upload a separate cover letter with complete contact information and acknowledgements.
3. Do not include your name on any of the pages of the manuscript file. The first page of the manuscript should include only the title of the manuscript. If the author’s name appears anywhere in the file, the submission will be disqualified.
4. Log in or register for a free Submittable account. Please note that your contact information will not be visible to the judges.
5. Enter the title of your manuscript.
6. Attach and upload your manuscript file.
7. Enter your payment information for the $30 submission fee.
8. You may view your submission activity or withdraw your submission at any time by logging in to your Submittable account.
You may submit your manuscript to other publishers while it is being considered for this competition, but if it is accepted for publication elsewhere, please notify us immediately.
You may submit more than one manuscript to the competition as long as each submission is accompanied by the $30 fee, meets the eligibility requirements, and does not include material submitted to us in another manuscript.
Manuscripts and entry fees will not be returned.
The University of Massachusetts Press and the University of Massachusetts MFA program will not provide feedback on manuscripts submitted for competition.
The decision of the judge is final. If they find no manuscript that, in his or her estimation, merits publication and the Juniper Prize, no winner may be chosen for that cycle.
The winners will be notified by the end of March and an announcement of the winners will be placed at the University of Massachusetts Press's website in early April. No information about the winners will be released before the April announcement.
Please send questions about the Juniper Prize competitions to firstname.lastname@example.org.